Curriculum Vitae | Ben Metz
I build systems and organisations that achieve social and environmental change.
I have extensive experience across enterprise and civil society and a strong grounding in Systems Psychodynamics and design.
This gives me the framework through which I help people create and improve systems, organisations, and their dynamics, and instigate new behaviours and activities.
I develop and deliver projects, consult to individuals and organisations, and run events. All my work is focused on understanding the sectoral, organisational and social dynamics at play in furtherance of solving complex social and environmental problems. This requires a deep understanding of issues of ownership, governance, entrepreneurship and finance in everything I do.
A selection of my work includes:
- Assisting Conservation Futures, with organisational, strategy and governance development (Jan ’18 – current)
- Project lead for Planet Tracker, currently undertaking a feasibility study to transpose the Carbon Tracker methodology to soft commodities (Oct ’17 to current)
- Project lead for Fish Tracker, which successfully applied the Carbon Tracker methodology to fisheries’ public equities markets (Jun ’16 – current)
- Supporting the establishment of CIVA Invests, a new >£1 million social investment fund identifying, supporting and investing in social sector organisations (Jan ’16 – Jun ’17)
- Instigator and project lead for Flip Finance, which developed user-led approaches to social investment to meet the needs of social sector organisations, their funders and investors (Sep ’15 – Dec ’16)
- Consulting to the Power to Change, developing a new fund and support programme for peer networks across the community business sector (Jun ’15 – Apr ’16)
- Assisting the law firm Bates Wells & Braithwaite establish and run the Stephen Lloyd Awards, an annual award that supports early stage social projects to achieve practical, sustainable social change (Jan ’15 – Dec ’17)
- Leading the Online Health Communities research project, which mapped and explored the emerging world of patient led digital communities and their impact on health services (Mar ’14 – Sep ’15)
- Assisting the Small Business Association of Jamaica to develop a social innovation strategy for the island (Jan ’14 – Jun ’14)
- Leading the development and delivery of the Artha Venture Challenge, an investment competition for social ventures in India (Mar ’13 – Jun ’14)
- Being Creative Director for Social Capital Markets, the world’s foremost impact investing conference, based in San Francisco (Jan ’12 – Oct ’12)
- Co-founding Shared Assets, an organisation championing new models of ownership and governance related to land-use, and urban and rural regeneration (throughout ’11)
- Founder of Marmalade, the participant-led fringe to the Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship (Jan ’10 – current)
- Founding director of Ashoka in the UK, the world’s leading network for social entrepreneurs. While in post I raised in excess of $5 million and supported more than 150 international social entrepreneurs working across over 35 countries (May ‘06 – Sep ’09)
- Founder and CEO of London Community Recycling Network. While in post I grew the organisation to 16 staff members and a turnover of £750,000; was a founding member of the Big Lottery’s Community Recycling Programme, securing, managing and distributing £37.5 million for community waste projects across the UK; supported social enterprises to secure nine large-scale public sector contracts totalling more than £35 million t/o; and led the start-up of six new Community Recycling providers, each with year one turnovers of between £600,000 and £1million (Nov ’00 – Apr ’06).
I have an M.A from the Tavistock Centre in “Consulting and leading in organisations: psychodynamic and systemic approaches” and am an Associate Member of APPCIOS, The Association for Psychodynamic Practice and Counselling in Organisational Settings, a membership institution of the British Psychoanalytic Council.